Culture can be like the proverbial soap - often too slippery to grasp. My guest, Tim Kuppler - the Director of Culture and Organisation Development with Human Synergistics, is on a mission to make this deep and complex topic more accessible to an average person. And he does it brilliantly here.
Prefer listening on iTunes or Stitcher? Just click below.
In this episode, Tim and I have a truly in-depth conversation about what makes a culture transformation successful.
Tune in to listen to this incredibly rich and interesting interview that will answer many of the questions you had about evolving culture.
- Why oversimplifying culture can be dangerous
- The difference between organisational culture and organisational climate
- Why assessing both culture and climate is so important
- The three most popular approaches to culture change
- What's the process that Tim and Human Synergistics use in their culture transformation projects
- Why we need to combine qualitative and quantitative methods to understand culture in teams or organisations
- 3 top reasons why culture change projects fail
- How to overcome objections to undertaking culture work
- Signs of readiness for culture transformation
- How to enable the discipline necessary to successfully implement the culture change agenda
- What’s the number 1 reason that senior leaders stay away from pursuing culture work
- Why it’s important to have a trusted guide when undertaking a culture change journey
- Why your common frustrations might not be due to the difference in values but a difference in beliefs
- Why sometimes it’s better not to call it “culture work”
- What the signs that it might be time to look for a new job are
- Why experimentation is great but only if you learn the basics first
About our guest
Tim Kuppler is the Director of Culture and Organization Development with Human Synergistics, a 40-plus-year pioneer in the field of workplace culture and leadership. He is also the founder of CultureUniversity.com, an educational blog with a faculty of culture experts and a purpose to positively impacting society on a global scale through culture awareness, education, and action. He is an accomplished speaker and recognized as a top 100 leadership conference speaker on Inc.com.
He was a senior automotive executive and managed numerous culture and performance transformations with best practices featured in case studies, books, and keynote presentations. He was previously President of Denison Consulting and is the author of Build the Culture Advantage, Deliver Sustainable Performance with Clarity and Speed.
To learn more about Tim and Human Synergistics, go to:
Books and other resources mentioned in this episode
Edgar Schein, Organizational Culture and Leadership, 5th edition
Edgar Schein, Humble Consulting
Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit
Culture University Blog: cultureuniversity.com