(YOU – DRAMA) = POSITIVE CHANGE with Cy Wakeman
Our guest today is Cy Wakeman. Cy is a drama researcher, global thought-leader, and New York Times best-selling author who is recognized for cultivating a counter-intuitive, reality-based approach to leadership.
Backed by 20 years of unparalleled experience, Cy’s philosophy offers a new lens through which employees and executives alike, can shift their attention inward, sharpen their focus on personal accountability, and uncover their natural state of resourcefulness simply by ditching the drama.
Cy and I had a wide-ranging conversation exploring what can happen when we ditch drama, take accountability and stop blaming culture and our environment for why we can’t do things. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed interviewing Cy.
In this interview, Cy and I discuss:
- Cy’s early cultural influences
- Rumi’s poetry and the impact it had on Cy’s personal philosophy
- Changing our experience by changing the lens we view the world through
- How Cy defines drama and what the effects of drama in the workplace are
- The dangers of believing everything that we think
- The magic of editing the stories that we are telling ourselves down to undeniable facts
- What a portable culture is and how to we can experiment with an idea that we can co-create culture by bringing what’s missing into it
- Three top competencies we need to thrive in the times of constant and exponential change
- Why Cy believes that it might be a good idea to ditch leadership books for a while and start exploring the work of great spiritual teachers instead
- The importance of language and self-reflection in cultivating healthy cultures
Listen to the interview in the player below or on iTunes. If you like what you hear, please leave a review, and it may be featured on a future episode.
More About Cy Wakeman
Deemed “the secret weapon to restoring sanity to the workplace,” Wakeman has helped companies such as Google, Facebook, Viacom, Uber, NBC Universal, NASA, Pfizer, Johns Hopkins, Stanford Health Care, Keurig Dr. Pepper, AMC Theatres, White Castle, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and countless others learn to navigate our rapidly changing world using good mental processes to harness energy wasted in workplace drama and reinvest that effort into achieving profound business results.
As a highly sought-after conference headliner, Cy Wakeman holds a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation from the National Speaker’s Association, placing her within the top 3% of speakers. She’s a regular contributor on Forbes.com, Success.com, The Huffington Post, and Arianna Huffington’s Thrive Global. She’s been featured on the TODAY Show, the AskGaryVee Show with Gary Vaynerchuk, Cheddar TV, The New York Times, Business Insider, The Daily Muse, SHRM.com and many more. Voted in the top 100 leadership professional to follow on twitter for 7 years in a row, Wakeman also came in at #23 on the Global Gurus 2019 list of top 30 Leadership Professionals around the world.
Wakeman has published three books, the latest of which is No Ego: How to Cut the Cost of Drama, End Entitlement and Drive Big Results (2017). Cy also hosts her own No Ego podcast, a Facebook Watch show, Life’s Messy, Live Happy, and adds weekly video content on YouTube to address leaders’ biggest challenges in the workplace. For more information, please visit Realitybasedleadership.com or follow Cy on social at @cywakeman.
FacebookWatch Show: Life’s Messy, Live Happy
YouTube Series: Through Cy’s Eyes
YouTube Series: Cy on the Spot
CY WAKEMAN Social Media
REALITY-BASED LEADERSHIP Social Media
The Quartz at Work
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie
Want more tips on evolving culture?
Subscribe to my newsletter, the CultureLab Insider, and get the new blog posts, podcast episodes
and other free resources delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.